Home / Courts & Justice / Federal Agent Charged After Shooting Venezuelan Man in Unauthorized Minneapolis Operation

Federal Agent Charged After Shooting Venezuelan Man in Unauthorized Minneapolis Operation

A federal immigration agent faces felony assault charges after shooting a Venezuelan man during what authorities say was an unauthorized operation in Minnesota last month, raising fresh questions about enforcement protocols as Border Patrol arrests hit record highs.

The agent, whose name has not been released pending arraignment, shot 34-year-old Carlos Mendoza outside a Minneapolis apartment complex on April 12 while attempting to execute what the agent described as a fugitive apprehension. Mendoza survived with injuries to his shoulder and chest.

According to charging documents filed in Hennepin County District Court, the agent was operating without proper authorization from Immigration and Customs Enforcement supervisors and outside his assigned jurisdiction. The agent claimed Mendoza matched the description of a Venezuelan national wanted on immigration violations, but investigators found no active warrant matching Mendoza’s description in the area that day.

Mendoza’s attorney told reporters his client, who entered the country legally on a temporary work visa in 2023, was leaving his apartment to go to his construction job when the agent approached him. The agent allegedly did not identify himself as law enforcement before drawing his weapon.

The shooting comes as ICE operations expand dramatically under stepped-up border enforcement. The agency reports apprehending more than 2.1 million people in fiscal year 2025, a 40 percent increase from the previous year. With rapid expansion comes inevitable strain on training, oversight, and accountability systems designed for smaller-scale operations.

Local law enforcement officials who responded to the scene reported the agent was uncooperative and initially refused to provide identification. Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said his officers had to request assistance from ICE headquarters to confirm the man’s credentials.

ICE released a brief statement saying the agent has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of criminal proceedings and an internal investigation. The agency declined to comment on whether the agent had prior disciplinary issues or how he came to be operating alone outside his assigned area.

Mendoza remains hospitalized in stable condition. His immigration status is currently under review, though his attorney maintains all documentation was valid at the time of the shooting.

The case proceeds to preliminary hearing on June 2. If convicted on second-degree assault charges, the agent faces up to seven years in prison under Minnesota law.

Key Points

  • Immigration agent shot Venezuelan man during what prosecutors call unauthorized operation outside assigned jurisdiction with no matching warrant
  • Victim entered U.S. legally on work visa, was heading to construction job when confronted by agent who allegedly failed to identify himself
  • Shooting highlights accountability concerns as ICE arrests surge 40 percent, straining oversight systems built for smaller operations

https://www.courthousenews.com/ice-agent-charged-with-assault-in-minnesota-shooting-of-venezuelan-man/ – May 18, 2026

Tagged:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *